1. General UMKC admission
- Applicants to the School of Education's Institute for Urban Education (IUE) must first be accepted into UMKC.
- Applications are available at umkc.edu/admissions for students not already admitted to UMKC. A $35 on-line application fee is required, or $45 when submitting a paper application. Indicate on the Admissions Application that you are applying to the School of Education's Institute for Urban Education.
- Official ACT and/or SAT scores, and an official transcript(s) are also required to complete the UMKC Admissions Application.
- UMKC’s Office of Admissions processes Admission Applications as they are received. Please note it may take up four to six weeks to be accepted into UMKC. Only after you are admitted to UMKC will your information be shared with the IUE office.
2. Personal statement
Please attach to your UMKC Application for Admission, a typed personal statement of approximately 750 words, addressing your interest and commitment to urban education. You may also explain why you have chosen education and why you think you will be an effective teacher in an urban school.
3. Supplemental IUE Application and supporting materials
In addition to the UMKC Application for Admission, you must also apply to the School of Education's Institute for Urban Education. Click here for the 2012-13 IUE application.
Items 1-3 (above) must be submitted together as a packet.
4. Letters of Reference
Two letters of reference are required. Do not use relatives. At least one should be from an educator or from someone familiar with your past experience working with youth. Both letters should be submitted using the reference forms located on the IUE application. The forms and letters of reference should be kept confidential, signed, and submitted in sealed envelopes to the Office of Admissions, Atten: Amber Daugherty - IUE Admissions, 5100 Rockhill Road, Kansas City, MO 64110.
All students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The form can be found at fafsa.ed.gov and must be submitted between Jan. 1 and March 1 of each year.
6. Video DVD
Prepare a 3-5 minute video addressing the following questions: 1. Why do you want to be a teacher? And, why do you want to be a teacher in an urban school? 2. What do you think makes a good teacher? Give some examples from the good teachers in your past. Burn the video to a DVD, include your contact information on the label, and deliver or mail to the UMKC School of Education, IUE Office - Suite 245 of the School of Education (615 E. 52nd Street, Kansas City, MO 64110). For free technology assistance in creating the video, please set up an appointment with the UMKC School of Education's Technology Learning Lab (TLL) at 816-235-2240 / Relay Missouri: 800-735-2966 (TYY). The Technology Learning Lab is open from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. on Friday.
Once admitted to UMKC, the files of IUE applicants will be reviewed by the School of Education's IUE Office. Potential finalists will be contacted for personal interviews by the IUE office.